Lenoir County Public Transportation
Lenoir County Transit
201 E. King St.
Kinston, NC 28501
Reservations or Cancellations: (252) 523-4171
Office: (252) 559-6457
Fax: (252) 559-6458
Vehicle Operating Hours: Monday – Friday 4:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday: Dialysis routes only 4:30 am – 4:30 pm
Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
WE OBSERVE ALL COUNTY HOLIDAYS!
Beginning August 1, 2016 Rural General Public (RGP) Ticket Program tickets will decrease from $6.00 per trip to $5.00 per trip . If you are already qualified and receiving Elderly and Disabled Transportation Assistance Program (EDTAP), tickets will decrease from $4.00 per trip to $3.00 per trip.
To provide affordable transportation to the community in which
we serve, in a safe and reliable manner
Strive to be a successful public transportation provider by
increasing efficiency and broadening our service area, while providing exemplary customer service
To conduct ourselves in a courteous and professional manner
at all times; Be proactive concerning safety procedures and concerns; Strive for continuous efficiency and reliable service for passengers as well as personal growth of ourselves; Be actively involved as a team player; And be open-minded and keep a positive attitude toward change.
About Lenoir County Transit:
Lenoir County Transit (LCT) is the Community Transportation System for Lenoir County. With the support of the LCT Advisory Board, Lenoir County Board of Commissioners and the North Carolina Department of Transportation/ Public Transportation Division, LCT provides transportation options to the residents of Lenoir County by providing general public and human services transportation. LCT is the primary provider of transportation services for Lenoir County Department of Social Services, Lenoir County Health Department, Vocational Rehabilitation, Council on Aging and Eastpointe Mental Health. Services are performed using demand response and subscription scheduling. LCT provides transportation to and from work, shopping trips, to and from LCC, non-emergency medical transportation, and visits to Woodmen Community Center, Neuseway Nature Center, and other points of interest. For more information, please call one of the numbers listed above.
LCT receives funding from the NCDOT/Public Transportation Division and the Federal Transportation Administration by applying for grants from these organizations. Recipients of FTA funds must comply with Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, Section 601. Title VI states that “No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
Rural General Public (RGP) Ticket Program
Rural General Public (RGP) is a Dial-a-Ride service offered by LCT. Residents can ride for $6.00 one-way or $12.00 round trip. **If you are a new rider, call the reservation number listed above before purchasing tickets to make sure that LCT operates in your area. Tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE. Tickets can be purchased at the following locations:
La Grange Town Hall Office
Pink Hill Town Hall Office
Lenoir Community College – Cashier’s Office
Lenoir County Transit Office
Or you can submit a request by mail at: P.O. Box 3289, Kinston, NC 28502
It is required that a passenger wishing to ride with LCT make a reservation in advance. For riders of the general public service, reservations can be made as little as 24 hours in advance (by 1:00 pm on the working day prior to the day of their transportation request). Passengers receiving services from County Human Services Agencies may contact their caseworker for more details on free or reduced fee transportation options. For more information, you can call one of the numbers listed above.
- In cooperation with the Department of Social Services, LCT provides transportation to the public for doctor’s appointments, to and from work, and to and from LCC. If you need transportation for any of these purposes, you can discuss your eligibility with your caseworker. If your caseworker determines that you are eligible, he or she will arrange for transportation with LCT.
- If you need to cancel for any reason, you must call the reservation line at least one hour prior to your reservation time to cancel. If you do not cancel, you will be counted as a no show.
- NO SHOW POLICY: The vehicle will wait for five minutes for the passenger to approach the vehicle for boarding. If the passenger(s) are not ready when the vehicle arrives, the vehicle will leave and a “No-Show” trip is documented. If you receive three “No-Shows”, you will be suspended from transportation for 30 days. This applies to ALL passengers. You must call to cancel your trip at least one hour prior to your pick up time to avoid a “No-Show”.
- All reservations must be scheduled by 1:00 pm the business day prior to the day of your requested trip.
- We require a one hour window for trips in Lenoir County; if your arrival time is 9:00 am you should be ready for pick-up at 8:00 am.
- Tickets may be purchased with cash or local check. Checks are made payable to Lenoir County Transit or LCT. DRIVERS DO NOT MAKE CHANGE.
- Prices are per person. One child age 12 and under may ride free with a paying adult.
- All children less than 8 years of age and less than 80 pounds must be secured into an appropriate safety seat. LCT DOES NOT PROVIDE SAFETY SEATS.
- All children under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult.
- We are a curb -to –curb transportation service provider; for liability reasons, we do not enter the home.
- Seat belts must be worn at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No profanity or inappropriate language is allowed.
- Eating or drinking is not permitted on the vans.
- The use of any types of tobacco products is not allowed.
- We provide transportation only. If a caregiver is needed, one must be provided by the passenger.
- If using a service animal, LCT must be notified at the time the reservation is made.
- Passengers must be able to carry all packages brought on board the vans.
How to Make a Reservation
*Remember, if your trip is agency sponsored, you must contact that agency to make a reservation*
Dial (252) 523-4171
- Press 1 – to schedule a new reservation. Leave the following information on voicemail when scheduling a reservation: full name, phone number, pick-up address, drop-off time, destination address, time of return trip ( if one is needed), if anyone is riding with you, or if you need special assistance.
- Press 2- to check a trip time for today, to cancel a reservation, or to advise that you are ready for a return trip
- Press 0 – for general information
**Please note that if you leave a message to make a reservation, no one will contact you to confirm your reservation, unless more information is needed to make the reservation. **
We now have an interactive voice response system. All passengers who have a current working phone number will be contacted the night before your trip to be notified you have a scheduled ride. Then the day of your trip you will receive a second phone call notifying you of our arrival approximately 30 minutes prior to the driver arriving to your pick-up location.