Planning & Inspection Department

Lenoir County Administration Building
101 N. Queen St.
PO BOX 3289
Kinston, NC 28502

Phone: 252-559-2260
8:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M • 2:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Click here to see if your question has already been answered in our FAQ section below.

The Lenoir County Planning and Inspection Department exists to provide the citizens of Lenoir County with state-mandated inspections for all phases of construction and the administration and enforcement of all Board adopted legislation, including the Land Use Plan, County Zoning, Subdivision, Manufactured Housing and Junkyard ordinances. The issuance of permits for construction and the provision of inspection services as required under N.C.G.S. 153a-351 will help ensure the public's life, safety, health and welfare in the building and land use environment. The department also enforces the requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program and the Community Rating System for FEMA. The department provides owners and builders with plan review, answers to code-related questions and investigation of complaints.

The Department is currently comprised of two (2) full time building inspectors, one (1) full time Planner, one (1) full time Permit Technician and two (2) unfilled position. The Chief Building Inspector has Level Three Certifications in Building, Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical Inspecting. The Other Inspector has Level Three Certifications in Building, Plumbing, and Mechanical Inspecting and a Level Two Certification in Electrical Inspecting. The Chief Building Inspector and Planner are both Certified Floodplain Managers.

The Department provides guidance and direction in the adoption of policies and regulations to encourage orderly growth and development and long-range community development in Lenoir County. These public policy choices include: residential, commercial, and industrial land use development standards; Floodplain Management; County-Wide Sewer Development; Watershed Protection; & Automobile Graveyard and Junkyard enforcements. This work involves the collection and evaluation of data, research and analysis of options and alternatives, and the selection and implementation of projects and programs.

The department serves as a professional staff to the County Planning Board. Additionally, it makes recommendations and suggestions to the Board of County Commissioners, citizen advisory groups, and other agencies on comprehensive land use policies and plans, zoning recommendations, special permits, hazard mitigation, and subdivision regulations. The department is directly responsible for the administration, enforcement, and updating of the County's Land Use Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, Hazard Mitigation Plan, Manufactured Housing Park Ordinance, Watershed Protection Ordinance, Junkyard and Automobile Graveyard Ordinance, and the Sexually Oriented Businesses Ordinance.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out if my property is located within a flood zone?
The Planning Department can determine if your property is within a flood zone. Please have a street address and tax id number available for reference.

Which permit application do I need to fill out?
Please refer to the section of this website entitled "Downloads" and then click the "Documents>Applications" link for a brief overview of each application. The applications can be downloaded and printed in the convenience of your own home.

Why do I need a building permit?
NC General Statutes require a permit to be obtained if a building, structure or service system is erected, constructed, enlarged, installed, altered, repaired, moved, removed, converted, or demolished. If you build without obtaining the necessary permits a written stop-work order will be issued.

What information do I need to be issued a permit for a house?
You will need a completed application, 2 copies of drawings, and septic/sewer permit and a plot plan.

How long does it take to process my permit once I've submitted all of the necessary information?
The amount of time will vary depending on the nature of the application.

What will happen if I decide to build without being issued appropriate permits?
A written stop-work order will be issued.

If my home is located within a flood zone, what is required to receive a permit?
You will need an elevation certificate or surveyed plot plan with information.

What information is needed before I can be issued a mobile home permit?
You will need a completed application; septic permit and an elevation certificate (if your home is located within a flood zone).

What are the required inspections on a mobile home?
Only one final inspection is required on a mobile home.

Once I purchase my permit, what is the procedure for requesting an inspection?
The permit holder must call the inspections office during business hours with the correct permit number to request an inspection. Your inspection will be done as soon as possible, however we cannot promise an exact time.

Once I receive my development permit, how long do I have until it expires?
You have six months after the date of issuance to begin work on the project. Once an inspection has been done, you have one year until your next inspection or the permit is no longer valid.

Do I need to be present at the site at the time of my inspection?
You do not need to be present for an inspection, although we must have access to the interior of the home should that be necessary.

Should my final electric inspection pass, how soon should I receive power on to my residence?
The electrical supply company will be notified the same day as the inspection. After they have been notified, it is up to them as to when power is connected. We suggest you contact them prior to your inspection and make sure they have been given proper information. Their information must match what we have in our system.

Whom should I call if I have questions concerning my permit or an inspection?
You may contact the inspections department during business hours on the day following your scheduled inspection and speak with a permit technician.

Where can I access the North Carolina State Building Code?
Information on the NC State Building Code can be accessed at Click on "Office of State Fire Marshall" and the "Engineering and Codes Division."


130 South Queen Street | Post Office Box 3289 Kinston, NC 28502
Phone: (252) 559-6450 Fax: (252) 559-6454